Just as you start recovering from Thanksgiving, the next holiday will come flying in like Santa and his 12 reindeer dropping off last-minute presents. For some, Thanksgiving might have been the ultimate test of willpower and strength when it comes to sticking to a diet. But for everyone else, the month of December can be even more difficult.
So what’s the best way to curb unavoidable cravings during the last stretch of the year? We recommend meal prepping. During the holiday season, you can plan meals based on your (abundant) leftovers to meet your diet goals. And when you pair this strategy with the amount of macros you should consume for each meal, then you won’t have to worry about staying on track with your diet for the rest of the year. Don’t worry, if you don’t have fancy meal prep containers, just use good old fashion re-sealable storage bags.
Meal Prep Guidelines
Meal prepping may seem like a chore, but if you have tons of leftovers, more than half the work is already done for you. Check out the example below to see what the meal prep macro numbers might look like for a Thanksgiving leftovers meal.
EXAMPLE THANKSGIVING LEFTOVERS MEAL
- Dark Meat: 1 serving (100 grams) = 173 calories, 6 grams Fat, 0 carbs, 28 grams Protein
- Light Meat: 1 serving (100 grams) = 167 calories, 2 grams Fat, 0 carbs, 34 grams Protein
- No gravy: 1 serving (1 cup) = 214 calories, 7 grams fat, 35 grams carbs, 4 grams protein
- With Gravy: 1 serving (1 cup) = 240 calories, 8 grams fat, 38 grams carbs, 4 grams protein
- Sautéed in Olive Oil and Garlic: 1 serving (1 cup) = 114 calories, 9 grams fat, 8 grams carbs, 2 grams protein.
Total Macros per Meal = Fats (18 – 23 grams), Carbs (43 – 46 grams), Protein (34 – 40 grams)
Recommended Marcos per meal = Fats (25 – 35 grams), Carbs (45 – 65 grams), Protein (10 – 40 grams)
*Marco totals based off an Adult Male 2000 calorie weight reduction diet*
Yep. A traditional thanksgiving meal can fit the recommended macro nutrient totals. Of course, depending on your goals, body composition, and activity levels, the amount of macros in your diet can increase or decrease. The important part is to remember that planning ahead is one of the best strategies to help you fight off any indulging temptations.
DIGITAL KITCHEN FOOD SCALE FOR NUTRITION FACTS - 10-KDS-001G
The high precision sensors give an accurate reading of your foods weight and nutritional value at a tare function of + or - 0.1 fl oz. for a better weight accuracy. Weigh your foods easily in ounces (oz.), pounds (LBS), milliliters (mL), fluid ounces (fl.oz) and grams(g) for simple conversions. The compact food measuring device will also calculate calories, salt intake, protein, fat, carbohydrates, cholesterol and fiber. This scale food device is pre-stored with 999 food types and 99 custom entries, so you can always make sure your scale is customized to your food intake.
- Tempered glass top: Scratch, damage & heat resistant
- Sleek and Compact: Neutral gray color will match well with any kitchen decor or theme
- High precision sensors: Accurate sensors calculate weight in ounces (oz.), pounds (LBS), milliliters (mL), fluid ounces (fl.oz) and grams(g)